Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Non-wedding Productive Trip to Chinatown

Yesterday my mom and I went into Chinatown to scope out Chinese wedding invitations. That didn't exactly happen. My mom had a shopping agenda (not wedding related) and we were quite successful in accomplishing that but not much else.

We went to Henry Street to check out a printer for invites but I spent that time in the car, parked illegally, while mom tried to get samples and pricing. When my mom returned she had a sample (it was ugly) and business cards. It turns out it wasn't enough for me to make any kind of decision or get a feel for what kind of invitations they had - so I have to make another trip to Chinatown.

So invitations were a bust, but I did manage to get one Chinese wedding item ... a guest book from Pearl River Mart on Broadway.
Normally, the guest book is a red silk sheet embroidered with a dragon and phoenix. Pearl River Mart had both the book I bought and the silk sheet. I choose the book because (1) it was more my style (2) the silk sheet was too small for the number of guests we are inviting and (3) the silk sheet wasn't of the best quality.

Now to figure out when to go back to Chinatown ...

1 comment:

Amelia Plum said...

I used to love going to Chinatown and Pearl River Mart when I lived back East. There's nothing like that here in Pittsburgh. The guest book looks very pretty and I'd agree it's probably more practical than the red silk sheet if you're having a lot of guests, although I love the idea of a red silk sheet of paper, it sounds so pretty.