Monday, September 28, 2009

I am falling apart!

About half way through in-law moving day on Saturday I felt a headache coming on and popped two extra strength Tylenol for the day. On Sunday I woke up and the headache was still there throbbing away on the left side of my head. On top of that my left ear was sore. I slept quite a bit Sunday thinking it was due to an ear infection. The throbbing was excruciating, like zaps of electricity.

I woke up this morning and the ear felt better but the throbbing was still there and seemed to have spread from my ear to include my left temple. I decided to call out of work and get to a doctor with all my ailments, head/ear pain and my constant phlegm filled cough. What a surprise it was when the doctor looked into my ear and told me there was no evidence of an ear infection. Nope I have to a problem with my temporomandibular joint (TMJ). I am a teeth grinder/clencher and basically have done enough to cause tissue on that side of my face to swell thus causing the ear pain and muscle tissue palpitations (the zapping pain). I do have a history of my jaw popping when I yawn but nothing ever this painful. I have to see a dentist now.

I did some research on my latest ailment and treatment usually begins with a mouth piece when I sleep and inflammatory meds or muscle relaxers if the palpitations are bad. For now I have popped two ibuprofen which seem to have helped (they'll be my new best friends).

I am so looking forward to a visit to the dentist (not really) but on top of the miserable gum soreness I get from a good teeth cleaning I will also have to get a mouth piece which will undoubtedly cause me to drool in my sleep if the muscle relaxers don't already do that. Very sexy.

1 comment:

Roselawn said...

I'm glad you figured out what it was and have an action plan. Doesn't sound like fun, though. I like the way you even uploaded a photo to go with your diagnosis. At first I thought it was a hip bone and wondered if you had broken your hip.. But you're not that old... yet.