Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's Like Animal Planet Here!

There's some crazy wildlife stuff going on around us. I feel like we're in an Animal Planet show. Where to begin..

We have Robin's eggs in a bush in the front yard. That's the picture up top. I did my best to stick my phone in the bush to get a picture of the Tiffany blue eggs. We also have Robins pulling worms out of the ground - I've never seen that happen outside of a cartoon.

Two of the craziest things (you can decide which wins) happened just this past week. First, I was driving home and as I was turning into our subdivision I see five vultures descending. They actually just looked like massive birds (I thought they were turkeys until Nick corrected me) and they had found a dead deer carcass that, I guess was recently hit by a car, they proceeded to eat. I tried to take a picture but glad I didn't because vultures eating sounds nasty now that I've thought about it.

Another adventure. Nick has been digging out the sod in a sppot in our yard to accommodate a garden. Once he digs out the sod he moves to a spot on our property that could use some grass and hopes for the best. Just this week he saw a fuzzy spider bigger than a half dollar dragging an egg sack around. After some discussions with friends we determine it's a wolf spider. Google wolf spider and look at the pictures. Give me the heebies jeebies just looking at the pictures.

1 comment:

Roselawn said...

See, and you said you only had bugs around there! Hope your move is going well. Tell Joan EVERYONE is asking where her "store" went. We've had to direct them to the new space. We are going to make a sign soon!