Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hablas Ingles?

I recently read this article about Wal-Mart going bi-lingual by opening stores that are Hispanic focused in key U.S. cities/markets. Staff will speak Spanish and signs will also be in Spanish. The two cities mentioned in the article are Phoenix and Houston. So basically in the next couple years you'll see the image I photoshopped just for this post.

In addition to Wal Mart with a Spanish focus you'll also see Sam's Club (a Wal Mart company) change too. They'll be called Más Club. A Más Club is opening in Houston TX this year.

To be very honest, I think this is a bunch of BS. We live in a country that has English as the primary language and this language is now taught all around the world as a secondary language to children as it is at least one, if not the main, language of business. So in a world power country we pander to a demographic that refuses to learn English by creating our marketing and signs and and now entire stores to them. I find that completely ridiculous and that these immigrants should learn English or leave.

I shouldn't have to learn Spanish to get around in the country of my birth where English has gotten me quite far in my life and now if I happen to go back to Houston or Phoenix I've got to dig up my high school Spanish lessons buried deep in my brain to buy something at a freakin' Wal Mart!

I am already livid at the fact that all my electronics come with two booklets for each language, there are two sets of paint samples at Home Depot with Spanish and English, packaging for simple things have both languages and even getting around Miami FL is impossible if you don't speak Spanish.

No comments: