Friday, December 05, 2008

A Rant

I watched The Office last night (U.S. version) and at the end of the episode Michael is in a fur coat. The shot pans out showing his fur coat having had paint splattered by fur protestors. I was pissed. (I know it's just a tv show.)

I am of the opinion that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and stances based upon the facts that have presented to them and their interpretation of the facts. Regardless of what that opinion is, expressing it should NEVER be physical. About a week ago, semi-celebrity, Lindsey Lohan was wearing a fur coat and some activist threw a bag of flour at her. A completely rude and elementary form of I-don't-like-you.

I am not a fur wearer but not for reasons that the flour thrower likely believes in - I just don't like it. I think that if someone wants to do or wear something they should be able to. Yes, clubbing of baby animals for coats is messed up but that's that person's choice and their own will to acknowledge the issue. Extreme activists, in fictional character Michael's and Lindsey's situations should have paint and flour, respectively, thrown back at them for being assholes.

Bottom line: do and say whatever you want about an issue (make signs, send videos, make a commerical) just don't get physical.

I feel, a little, better now.

No comments: