Monday, April 19, 2010

Vintage Furniture

A couple weeks back I was browsing the Popsugar's sister site, CasaSugar and came across a post about a 1960s Faux Bamboo Dresser. I thought the dresser was totally awesome and I was in love because it would be perfect in the yellow (now not leaky) room we just painted with the monkey rug. But where on earth would I find one and for such an awesome price (she paid $69 bucks for a dresser!)?

Fast forward to this past Saturday morning. We were running around the house picking up messes left during the week and doing other random things you do when you own a house. At some point I got sidetracked and sat down at my desk and do what I always do, start to look something up and then the internet just kidnaps me and I click on anything that catches my eye and Google whatever pops into my pretty little head. My brain told me to Google headboards (because our two beautiful bedrooms need to grow up and get some headboards like grownups have and I am a grownup). I somehow and smartly, ended up on craigslist and came across a local post of not just a dresser but a whole set of the bamboo furniture I coveted!


I exchanged a few emails with the seller (who was about an hour away) and on Sunday we drove two cars and picked up all the pieces (dresser, mirror, desk, chair, headboard, and nightstand). These are the seller's pictures but now that I spent the better part of Sunday cleaning up the pieces I'll take some pictures of it in the actual room.

This set is Thomasville stamped with 1966. My research tells me it's the Allegro set and there are sellers of pieces to the whole set all over the U.S. A seller on craigslist had the lingerie chest (which btw I would give my left leg for - because it's not my driving foot) but they're some where in Louisiana and that should tell me to shut up and stop thinking about another piece for the set. I already have my work cut out because I am going to have to strip the paint because it's flaking off and repaint the whole set. Off to pick the new color...

No comments: