Monday, April 19, 2010

How did cavemen bake before the invention of the oven?

A week ago on Sunday I had to bake some goodies for a bake sale at work for babies or rather March of Dimes. My company's charity of choice is March of Dimes which promotes healthy babies through prevention of birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality. Anyhow, so it's the eve of the bake sale and I offered to bring in two items, K - Bars and strawberry cupcakes. The K - Bars were no bake so I did that first thinking I would get the challenge of making something for the first time out of the way.

I turned the oven on to preheat. Then I proceeded to  mix the cupcake batter and pour it into the cupcake cups. I checked the oven and thought it was a little cool but figured it needed more time. I wandered to my desk and Googled away. Thirty minutes later I went back down and that stupid oven wasn't even hot yet. Thankfully hubby came into the kitchen to check on me and I took the opportunity to mention the oven was being funny (I think I would have waited hours before I realized something was wrong). Hubby started knocking at things with a flashlight (because it works miracles) but nothing. As he attempted to get a replacement part at Home Depot at 7:00pm on a Sunday for a 30 year old oven; I headed over to my father-in-law's house to use his oven (thank goodness we decided to live ten minutes away from him).

More than a week later we've had a repair guy sent by the home warranty company and he attempted to order the part but was sent the wrong part. Now the warranty company has a chance to find a part or we get a credit of some sort to get a replacement oven. I would like that oven because I keep forgetting my oven is broken make plans to cook something in the oven and just when I get excited reality hits and I think, "Crap that damn oven is broken and the toaster oven is too small even though I got the big one!" Tonight I told my husband I would bake him brownies in this crazy pan his mom got us... but the pan doesn't fit in the toaster oven....

No comments: