Friday, February 26, 2010

Funny (or Crazy) Commuter Moments

I commute for work about 48 weeks, 240 days to and from Manhattan. In the span of 2+ hours daily, some crazy shit happens. Here are some memorable moments...
  • One evening, I spotted a woman selling Churros and some potato chip-like items on the subway platform. She had the Churros on a baking tray covered in plastic wrap and then the chip-like items were in sandwich bags in her cart. I didn't see a Health Department certificate of a satisfactory rating so I didn't bother nor do I like Churros or mystery chips.
  • My seatmate, at 7am, smelled like curry. Yup curry, at 7am. It was not a smell for early in the day. Dinner perhaps but not while I was trying to sleep and each time he moved I got a whiff of curry.
  • At the time I was being audited by our corporate auditing group and one morning I let someone sit next to me. As I sat down I realized I was sitting next to the lead auditor for the team auditing my area. Crap! Thank goodness she was very nice and we had a nice, short conversation before putting our iPods on and napping. 
  • Sitting next to a guy who started to speak loudly into his cell phone, hung up, read my book over my shoulder, looked away, started reading (looking) but then started to read parts aloud. He also said random things and made random noise. He invaded my personal space.  I did stare him down at one point but still cannot figure out why I didn't say anything ... I guess I couldn't formulate words for what was happening.
  • I used to sit by the window, on the inside, in a two-seat bench until one morning I was being suffocated by a heavier woman wearing way to much perfume. I think I held my breath for the entire one hour ride. Keep in my the train is fairly narrow and these trains are circa 1970s or so and the seats are narrow even for me. Since then I've never sat by the window.
  • Once morning I let in a nice looking lady. Big mistake, once she sat down she couldn't stop fidgeting with her stuff. She kept rooting around her bag which had a half empty water bottle that kept crackling. OMG. Then she filed her nails.WTF?

1 comment:

Roselawn said...

Your ride to work is so much different than my commute from a county with not one stoplight through the cow-ridden farms of Prince Edward. My car never smells like curry!