Thursday, November 29, 2007

Rockefeller Center

I have the pleasure of working very near Rockefeller Center and last night I was very close to the commotion of the tree lighting events. As I left work I could see straight down 49th Street into Rockefeller Center with the crowd of people and big jumbo screens set up for those not fortunate enough to have a close view. I resisted the temptation to join the throngs of people and went the opposite way to New Jersey.

As I watched the events unfold on television I have to admit, I was jealous. I spent some time sending my brother text messages as he was there, not in thick of it, but close. He works for Tishman Speyer the real estate firm that runs this show and owns Rockefeller Center. He was fortunate enough to look out the windows and go out on a roof deck from some of the Tishman Speyer owned buildings.

Today a co-worker and I needed an afternoon caffeine pick-me-up so we strolled underground to the concourse for some Dunkin Donuts and then continued west to see the tree. We headed up from the concourse and exited right behind the tree as it overlooks the ice rink. It was definitely a magnificent tree. We admired the eco-friendly solar powered led lights on this year's tree and due to the crowds and cold we made our merry back to our office. After seeing the tree we were quite curious about the history of it all. You can read all about the Rockefeller Center trees of past at www.thetreenyc.com . The most interesting thing has to the timeline. You can see all the different heights of the trees and read about the tree's decor for a particular year as well as other events in history. There's also video and pictures about the tree that currently sits in midtown Manhattan.

I am still amazed by all that I have access to while working in Manhattan. It's been one awesome 9 months!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How so very cool to work in the heart of America! I've never seen the Rockefeller tree. We really need to come up for a visit w/ you guys and to do a little of NYC! Hey, can you give me Joan and Mandy's new addrss??

Sherry