Friday, November 09, 2007

Aloha!

I've been waiting close to forever for this. Our very own has finally opened! I've known about the existence of Trader Joe's since college when my economics professor would reward students showing up for class with various treats from Trader Joe's. Usually the huge bucket of half dollar sized chocolate chip cookies. Last year a Trader Joe's opened up near my last job but it was always on the wrong side of the highway at rush hour. I've literally been stalking the Edgewater NJ store on my way home hoping for signs of life and finally determined it would open in early November. Well it's just about mid-November and I've been there twice!

First trip was this past Monday with the hubby who thinks it may just be his new favorite store. We spent about $40 on random things that we hoped to be good. The orange flavored (dried) cranberries were a little too much orange. I had some teriyaki mushroom sushi rolls and didn't like the teriyaki much. There were some other stuff but I couldn't remember. The second trip, on my way home from work, one night was much more successful. I highly recommend their garlic naan for those Indian dishes, or if you're like me and just like naan. Also good is their microwaveable (only 3 minutes!) Jasmine rice. They had another kind of rice but I can't remember what was. They didn't have microwaveable basmati so I just bought that in a bag and I'm sure rice in a bag is good.

I've heard that there are some Trader Joe's with a liquor section, unfortunately due to NJ ABC regulations it's a no go, but there's plenty other stuff to be excited about.

1 comment:

Dimitri McKay said...

Yea, when I was living in San Francisco I used to frequent Trader Joe's. It's that happy middle ground between a regular grocery store and over-priced whole foods.

I went to the one in Edgewater, and that spot was just SMALL!

Nice to have like 5 or 6 grocery stores in the neighborhood now.