Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gal Looking for Pencil Skirts

I am just a simple (that might be a lie) working girl in need of a corporate America wardrobe staple - the plain black pencil skirt. It's so versatile it works with a dress shirt, an argyle cardigan, even a ruffly frilly mess of a blouse.

This pencil skirt looks perfect... and it is, except for the price. It's a lovely J. Crew stretch wool pencil skirt for $98.00. That's right almost a Benjamin Franklin. As much as I love J. Crew - I will not pay full price for something that, because it is so versatile, I will wear the shit out of it in about 6 months. I do have specific criteria for my pencil skirts (most skirts) and that is that they must be fully lined. Just think - if you've ever tried to wear stockings with an unlined skirt... it is insanity as your skirt gets caught just on top of your knee when you walk.

Back to the skirts... I have not just discovered this working girl staple but rather have just trashed 2 skirts that served me so well for the last 6 months or so. They were from Old Navy and only cost about $20. I ordered 2 right off the bat and they were perfect - I went to order a dozen more but others had figured out the great buy and I was left with what I was able to get my hands on. After months they have finally met their fate as the fabric has faded nicely and no longer as the nice sheen but rather a dusty black look. I bid adieu to you Old Navy skirts and now I must find your replacements.

I have searched high and low and haven't yet found quite the right skirts. I ordered a skirt on sale from J. Crew that looks similar (we'll see how that pans out), I have a couple more from Banana Republic ready to order and have a Gap skirt being delivered this week.

No comments: