Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Fruits of My Husband's Labor

Our ridiculously bountiful garden has already yielded basil for pesto sauce, cucumbers for snacking and a couple of zucchini for sauteing. Today I came home from work and hubby had harvested some zucchini from the garden and apparently some are on steroids...

As you can see they are bigger than the egg box. I can't even begin to describe how big they are but to quote the hubby when he was harvesting, "Who's limb is that?"


What does one do with an abundance of zucchini?

The hubby requested zucchini bread! I made my mother-in-law's recipe and doubled the batch for a lot zucchini bread which is cooling as I type this.
Here's the recipe...
3 eggs beaten (I used 5 egg whites)
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking soda
2 cups grated zucchini (I pulverized it in the food processor)
Optional: 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts, and/or raisins (used both)

Mix together all ingredients. Divide between 2 loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour.

1 comment:

Roselawn said...

Joan and her recipes... I need her back at Roselawn. Karen is coming to visit this week. What should I make for dinners???